Prop guards not required for scout vehicles?

hugh

Prop guards not required for scout vehicles?

Post by hugh » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:28 am

Our scout vehicle uses the same motors / props as many of the Ranger vehicles, but I noticed that the scout competition manual doesn't require any sort of safety guard on the props. I just wanted to double check that it is correct that the scout vehicles don't need guards.

From the Scout competition manual:
3.2.3 Propellers
MECH-003S: Propellers must be enclosed inside the frame of the ROV or shrouded. Companies that have
propellers protruding outside of their frame will not pass the safety inspection and will not be allowed to
compete.

From the Ranger competition manual:
3.2.5 Propellers
MECH-006: Propellers must be shrouded and have thruster guards. ROVs that have propellers exposed
without thruster guards will not pass the safety inspection and will not be allowed to compete. A shroud
must completely encircle the propeller and extend at least 2 mm in front of and behind the propeller.
Thruster guards must completely cover any openings on the thruster and should have a mesh size that
meets IP-20 standards (solid particulate protection level 2). This IP code equates to a mesh size >12.5
mm. To pass safety inspection, the shroud and propeller guard should meet this standard. If your finger
can touch the propeller, then it is not properly guarded

Matthew Gardner

Re: Prop guards not required for scout vehicles?

Post by Matthew Gardner » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:09 pm

SCOUT class vehicles are not required to have motor shrouds. However, safety is paramount, so if you feel a propeller is a safety hazard, you can put a shroud around it.

For example, if you are using a Blue Robotics or Seabotix thruster on a SCOUT class vehicle, I would recommend shrouding them. They have enough force to potentially cut skin / hurt someone. The yellow propellers mounted to a bilge pump however, tend not to have the force needed to do real harm.

Good luck.

Matthew Gardner
MATE ROV Competition