ROV Power Question

melaniewoodard

ROV Power Question

Post by melaniewoodard » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:06 pm

Hello there! We have a question with one of the rules pertaining to the loss of power. When you say, "For safety purposes, any ROV system that is disconnected from the surface supply must stop functioning in less than 5 seconds. This applies to electrical, pneumatic, and hydraulic power sources. Any filters, capacitors or accumulators must be sized accordingly to meet this specification."

If there is a single LED (indicator light) on the main power brick of our ROV that takes 10-15 seconds to fully discharge and stop being lit, does this violate the rule? Everything else, motors, brain, splitters, etc. stop functioning completely within the 5 seconds.Hello there! We have a question with one of the rules pertaining to the loss of power. When you say, "For safety purposes, any ROV system that is disconnected from the surface supply must stop functioning in less than 5 seconds. This applies to electrical, pneumatic, and hydraulic power sources. Any filters, capacitors or accumulators must be sized accordingly to meet this specification."

If there is a single LED (indicator light) on the main power brick of our ROV that takes 10-15 seconds to fully discharge and stop being lit, does this violate the rule? Everything else, motors, brain, splitters, etc. stop functioning completely within the 5 seconds.

Neilstagg

Re: ROV Power Question

Post by Neilstagg » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:16 am

Matt may wish to confirm.
You could mention this in your presentation. For me providing the one LED is the only case, we would be "a bit tight" to penalise on that. As in real pro ROVs- aim in your engineering design that you optimise reliability of your power supply- and describe the reliability features in your report. A real life black-out at depth is the absolute "pits"- believe me!.
Any help?
Regs, Neil

melaniewoodard

Post by melaniewoodard » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:35 pm

The team member who designed the power supply put to big of capacitors on it. We really do not want to get penalized for this. So will we get penalized for having that one light on?

Neilstagg

Post by Neilstagg » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:11 am

Melanie, I assume this is Explorere Class...
I suggest 2 actions;
(1) Place a small deviations section in your engineering report- maybe in the controls description. 1 sentence to describe the additional 10 seconds decay time. Be sure to add; ......"There are NO safety issues with this deviation". As an engineering judge I would deem this to be a very professional approach.
(2) In your engineering sales talk, I suggest to simply mention it that you had problems meeting decay time for 1 LED. be sure to add..."there are no safety issues with this deviation".

The question of design deviations is rarely brought up at MATE engineering interviews, but common in industry. By you flagging this small deviation up front, will come across as quite professional to a judge. The issue appears to be quite small.

Hope this helps.
neil

Matthew Gardner

Post by Matthew Gardner » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:26 pm

I have sent this out to our tech and safety panel for discussion.

I will post a response as soon as I get one.

Matthew Gardner
MATE Center

Matthew Gardner

Post by Matthew Gardner » Sun May 10, 2015 3:42 pm

Hi Melanie:

Sorry for the delay in answering (many/most of the MATE judge panel were busy getting ready for and running MATE competitions this week).

Provided it is only and LED that lasts longer than the 5 second shut down rule, that is fine. Making note of this in the tech documentation and sales presentation, and to the safety judges is a good idea.

Good luck.

Matthew Gardner
MATE Center