Clarifications about the Scout class CTA

arnolddeleon

Clarifications about the Scout class CTA

Post by arnolddeleon » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:21 pm

In page 9 of

http://www.marinetech.org/files/marine/ ... INAL5a.pdf

the CTA is described as being "upright", for clarification does the picture in page 3 of

http://www.marinetech.org/files/marine/ ... _FINAL.pdf

have the CTA in the upright position?

I might have missed it but where does the other end of the rope attached to CTA connect to?

arnold

Matthew Gardner

Re: Clarifications about the Scout class CTA

Post by Matthew Gardner » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:50 pm

Hi Arnold:

The CTA in SCOUT photo #5 and SCOUT photo #6 is upright. The #6 Screw Hook will be coming out the 'top' of the CTA.

In the real world, the other end of the CTA line/rope/cable would lead to the surface and shoreline. At your regional competition, the other end of the rope may go all the way to the surface side of the pool and be tied onto something topside. Alternatively, your regional coordinator may have it attached to a heavy weight on the pool bottom, which would simulate an attachment to the surface. No matter what the set up, SCOUT class teams will have plenty of rope/line to reach the bulkhead connector on the BIA.

Good Luck.

Matt Gardner
MATE Center

ehagen

Post by ehagen » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:35 pm

I notice that my CTA with hook falls over fairly easily when an ROV tries to pick it up. I have just told students to expect that, but wanted to make sure there was not some type of floatation I was missing.

arnolddeleon

Post by arnolddeleon » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:33 pm

We see the same thing.

Matthew Gardner

Post by Matthew Gardner » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:14 am

The SCOUT class CTA does tend to fall over easily. The students should be prepared for that and practice piloting there vehicle carefully when picking up the CTA.

If a team knocks the CTA over, it is there responsibility to get it turned upright or to grab it as is. Diver assistance in 'up-righting' the CTA will result in a 5-point penalty per assistance.

Good luck.

Matt Gardner
MATE Center