[EXPLORER] Cannon Lift Mechanism

EER_Mark

[EXPLORER] Cannon Lift Mechanism

Post by EER_Mark » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:05 am

Hello,

In the manual, it is stated that:

“Any independent cannon lift mechanisms (if removable from ROV) will not be included in size and weight.”

"Additional devices may be used to lift the cannon to the surface. MATE will not provide any
devices; companies must design and bring their own devices."

Does a separate cannon lift mechanism fall under the Non-ROV Devices ruleset? For example, can we power actuators on the device from the surface (through a separate tether) and/or through the ROV with a wet-mate connector? As well, is any team allowed to attach tools on the device that are intended for other mission tasks? (We assume no on that one)

Thanks,
Mark

Matthew Gardner

Re: [EXPLORER] Cannon Lift Mechanism

Post by Matthew Gardner » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:09 pm

Only the micro-ROV falls under the NON-ROV device for 2019. A cannon lift mechanism could not use the Non-ROV device rules.

Matthew Gardner
MATE Center

EER_Mark

Post by EER_Mark » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:05 pm

Hi Matt,

If the cannon lift mechanism does not fall under NRD rules, what are its constraints? Can it be powered from the main ROV? Or is it limited to be a purely mechanical device?

Thanks,
Mark

Matthew Gardner

Post by Matthew Gardner » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:39 am

The cannon lift device could be the ROV itself (provided you have sufficient thrust), a lift bag that is filled with air, etc.

Good luck.

Matthew Gardner
MATE Center

Ginneth

Post by Ginneth » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:26 pm

If I use an engine-free mechanism that use the power of my hands to operate, to pull out the cannon after the ROV takes it to the surface, is that allowed?

Note: there is never contanct between my hands and the cannon

Matthew Gardner

Post by Matthew Gardner » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:23 am

Pulling the cannon in manually is not allowed. So an engine free mechanism that uses the power of your hands (other than piloting your ROV), is still probably manually pulling in the cannon.

I am not sure exactly what you have in mind, but any pulling of the cannon by hand/foot/body part is not allowed. If you think your device might qualify, you can send me a PM with additional details.

Matthew Gardner
MATE ROC Competition

Ella5980

Post by Ella5980 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:24 pm

This question is focused on a Ranger team but figured it would go with this thread.

If using a lift bag to recover the cannon does the air hose have to been incorporated into the Main ROV Tether. Or in the case of the Micro-ROV can it run alongside the main ROV tether which makes it detachable.

if in the case that the "lift bag" and air hose is required to be hard connected to the tether or the ROV frame is it considered a variable buoyancy system or a lift bag?

In the 2019 manual there is no specification on lift bag rules or requirements except for a brief mention in the size and weight section and calculating the ROV lift capacity section. Is there any particular product demonstration rules or regulations we need to follow when designing this lifting system.

Just for the record the lift system is powered via a bicycle pump and meets all safety requirements.

Thank you for your time.
Sincerely,
Ella

Matthew Gardner

Post by Matthew Gardner » Mon May 20, 2019 12:49 pm

There are a few rules to note when designing a lift bag:

Since it is powered by a manual pump, the main rule is FLUID-013. Your container (lift bag) should have a hole in the bottom so pressure can never exceed the ambient pressure.

Other than that, you can create your lift bag however you want.

As for the air hose needing to be incorporated into tether ... I will need to check on that.

Matthew Gardner
MATE ROV Competition